I came across a link to this recipe on the TNT forums, which referenced this recipe, which mentions that the recipe was found on http://www.atkinsdietbulletboard.com/– which doesn’t exist anymore, sadly.
It sounded crazy enough to work, and I was crazy enough to try it.
I decided to try using my neglected food processor for grating the cheese and mixing the egg – this worked out better than expected. Maybe I’ll actually begin to use the thing?
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (the canned varieties are the lowest carb)
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- pizza toppings, of choice (I used pepperoni)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Beat together cream cheese and eggs until smooth.
- Add cream, Parmesan, garlic and oregano.
- Spray 9X13 pan with cooking spray or oil.
- Place 2 cups mozzarella cheese in bottom of pan.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread sauce and pesto (mixed together beforehand) over baked mixture.
- Add toppings of choice.
- Cover with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and brown. This should take about 10 minutes, but I didn’t time it, so you’re on your own regarding the time here.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
Except for the step I added, which was ‘drop pan with a loud bang into the bottom of the stove, sloshing some of the contents from the pan on the bottom of the stove and filling the house with smoke’, it came out very pizza-like, except for the crust.
The crust actually looked like a pizza crust, but it was a quiche-like consistency. There’s nothing there to bind it together, so I ate it with a fork.
Other than than the crust issue, the taste was excellent.
This is a great one for those of you new to Atkins who might be jonesin’ for a slice of greasy pizza a few days in to starting the diet. It’s induction-friendly, and it should fill that need for pizza quite well, unlike other recipes that sorta, kinda make you feel like, ‘yeah – if I imagine real hard, I can pretend this is pizza’.
Well worth the try.