I haven’t done this in a while – possibly because too many people would read it – but now that I’ve ‘trimmed my audience‘ it might be time to start another ‘accountability journal’. These usually don’t end well, but hey – people love to watch a trainwreck – though I hope a trainwreck is not the end result.
So to make a real long story short, I lost about 30lbs. last year and I did great through the holidays, then went WAY off the ranch in 2019. Go figure. So here I am at 247.4, and I’ve decided today is as good a day as any to start a fat fast to lose 20lbs.
What’s a fat fast? It’s where you eat 80% fat in your diet and keep your calories on the very low end of acceptable intake. For me that’s about 1200 calories per day. This is a very good way to get into ketosis quickly. My body is also very used to being in ketosis and the transition can happen very fast.
I have a few other high-level goals that dovetail with the above:
- Intermittent Fasting: A 16-hour or more fast per day. 2 meals spaced 4 hours apart or one meal a day as the extreme or even the occasional one meal a day
- I’m shooting for ketones in the 1.5-3.0 range
- I tally my eating. There won’t be much of it if things go to plan so it should be easy
- No alcohol, duh
- This is a temporary state. It’s ‘boot camp’ and will get throttled back when my weight goes below 227.4. A lack of protein or veggies shouldn’t be cause for alarm as a short-term thing. They happen after the 20 lb. loss.
- I take my psyllium supplement daily
- I take my vitamins daily
Now – a word of caution. I am a dope. I STRONGLY recommend that you Do Not Try This At Home. I have been doing keto diets (for the most part badly)since 2003 and have been reading and researching on the topic for 15 years. This has proven to me that no one should look to me for advice, or do what I do.
Ketogenic diets are not for everyone. I have years of experience as well as bloodwork that shows I tolerate them well. You might not – and that means you going to your doctor to find this out. This is also an extreme regimen and I can’t think of a single person I would recommend it to.
Lastly, I’m going to try to keep these journal entries short. I typically make this stuff up as I go along so we’ll see what happens.